Saturday, September 12, 2009

Camping

We were a bit late getting a camping trip together this year and once we did we couldn't find anyone to go with us. I'm happy to report we went anyway and had a great time. We went to Memorial park which is nice and close and convenient.



It was a little late in the year, so our late arrival on friday night had us setting up camp in the looming dark. Since this was only the second time we have used our new tent there was some risk in the process, but we managed.

I did take a photo for next time, to orient ourselves with the rainflap, which is somewhat counter-intuitive for me (something I was convinced was overkill -- thank goodness I'm not in charge as it rained that night!).

This trip was a lot better due to the addition of my mother's day gift of my very own cot. I did feel a little guilty being the only one sleeping off the ground but my back was grateful even if the packing was a bit more of a challenge as a result.



We stayed two nights this time, which makes all the assembly a bit more worthwhile. Judy did all the food prep for us (yes we are spoiled) and Bob did all the gear gathering. I also went a bit wild with the new label maker marking everything easily delegated going forward [grin -- just kidding -- I think].

The big surprise of the trip was how much the racoons were out. The girls and I went to the bathrooms to brush teeth before bed and found ourselves faced with four large ones availing themselves of the water. It scared us a bit, especially when the fourth one did not leave with the other three and we had to go back in to encourage him that people were coming. The girls were mostly frightened and it took a bit of convincing to get them to enter the bathroom after that.


One great thing about Memorial park is that they have a bit of a swimming hole. I think it was at one time an actual pool, but now it's more of a creek. The best thing about this creek is that it can be entered by small kids without parents needing to join. I was especially appreciative of this part.

The only thing I'd change for next year is to hopefully remember to get our reservations in before the start of summer so we can go more than once. The whole family really enjoys the camping experience.

No comments: