Our neighbors were able to use the crib and were kind enough to store Ashton's bed for us too. The girls got to "camp" on the mattresses in their disassembled room which was an adventure.
Monday the bed was delivered on Monday as planned and the movers were able to assemble it for us (which was great!). The only casualty was the carpet which was making things off-balance and proved more trouble than it was worth.
It took another solid week to get everything organized, moved back and a new rug ordered. Of course, there were a few toy casualties along the way (all the better for goodwill of course). But we were able to keep the bookshelf which was not a given. What we love about these bunks is the clothes storage and the stairs vs. a ladder. It's quite a large piece but it fits them perfectly.
The first night we realized we had to bring back the guard-rail from Ashton's bed (which didn't really go over well with our oldest who is "past" princess and on to Hello Kitty). Bob watched Jacqueline bounce off the top bunk right in front of him!
As you can see the mural on their wall still looks great with the new bed (a fact for which I'm VERY relieved). The chest is now where the crib used to be and we even have more floorspace than we did before.
So, while this was a big project, that had a few rough spots
- Lots and lots of organizing and re-work of toys, god do those girls have a LOT of toys
- convincing Jaq that the top bunk was not hers (and that "yes" she did have to sleep in her new bed, etc.)
- Making rules that no friends are allowed on the top bunk
- A few watchful days to catch jumping and dancing on the top bunk