Sunday, July 12, 2009

Meg's birthday at the Sheltor Network

To celebrate my birthday this year we did a team event at the Shelter Network. A local organization that provides assistance to people who need transitional housing.


Here is our group photo.

We do a few of these kinds of volunteer events each year and I find them very rewarding and grounding. I thought it would be a nice thing to do for the birthday celebration. It felt especially appropriate to be giving back this year with so many families struggling in this economy.

This time our job was to paint the lobby, hallways and conference rooms. These are important to the organization as this is where they receive donations and have meetings so it's an area they want to look fresh and nice. I'd like to say we achieved that goal, to be honest it was a close call as I don't think many of us are well suited for this kind of work ;-).
This year Ashton joined us and got good support from her Auntie Suzie who is an experienced painter. She especially enjoyed the taping job as the low spots were easy for her to help with.After the event, the team went for drinks where Bob and Jacqueline joined us for a cake. I strongly suggest considering doing a volunteer event on a special day, it really helps make you realize just how lucky you are.



Of course, since it's me I also had a beautiful (seriously) Judy cake as well later with the family.

No comments: